SRS Heritage Foundation
            Preserving and Interpreting the Heritage of the Savannah River Site




About the SRS Heritage Foundation...



The SRS Heritage Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established to preserve and interpret the role of the Savannah River Site (SRS) in winning the Cold War. It focuses on technical and scientific achievements, sociological impacts, and ecological accomplishments. Activities include a range of  education and outreach programs.





How We Came to Be


2003
July 8:  DOE public meeting on Historic Preservation of Cold War Resources sought public input on preservation

July 24:  Todd Crawford and Walt Joseph presentation to Board of Directors of Citizens for Nuclear Technology Awareness resulted in creation of CNTA Visitor Center/Museum Committee

November 26:  CNTA application approved to become a Consulting Party under the National Historic Preservation Act and 36 CFR Part 800

2004
June 17:  Programmatic Agreement signed to guide future management of historic preservation at SRS

December 9:  Savannah River Site’s Cold War Built Environment Cultural Resources Management Plan signed by the USDOE Savannah River Operations Office, USDOE Savannah River Site Office, National Nuclear Security Administration, USDOE Federal Preservation Officer, South Carolina State Historic Preservation Officer and the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation with concurrence by the Savannah River Citizens Advisory Board, Citizens for Nuclear Technology Awareness, City of Augusta, City of Aiken and the City of New Ellenton.

 
2005

August:   First edition of SRS Heritage Newsletter

May 23:  Non-profit 501(3) status confirmed by Internal Revenue Service

August 11:  CNTA transferred responsibilities, including Consulting Party status, to SRS Heritage Foundation.

September 6:  First meeting of Heritage Foundation Board of Directors

 Heritage Board of Directors

-Heritage Foundation Board of Directors-

November 4:   DOE-SROO Manager Jeff Allison issued letter of intent to Foundation for Building 742-A use as SRS Heritage Center

2006
November 4:  First SRS Heritage Day at Ruth Patrick Science Education Center, USCA

Bill Bebbington Video InterviewJoanne Zobel with Ann MesserSRS Retirees
          Bill Bebbington, retired General Superintendent                      Joanne Zobel (r), member of the Heritage Foundation                        SRS Retirees Gerry Merz, Bud Zobel, and Jim
                      
of the Works Technical Department,                           Board, discusses ascrapbook of theDunbarton/Ellenton                   and Jeanne Walls look at a book of early photographs
                       
 prepares for his video interview.                                                displacement with Ann Messer.
                    

2007
January 26:   DOE-SROO Manager, Jeff Allison issued letter of intent for parts of former community of Ellenton to be used for the Ellenton Heritage Trail

September 26:   Preliminary design of SRS Heritage Center by Lord, Aeck & Sargent, Architects unveiled at wine and cheese reception in Aiken Municipal Building

Future SRS Heritage Museum

October:   Jim Iwert takes the lead with the Ellenton Heritage Trail Committee

2008
July:   Design of new Foundation logo unveiled

October 11:   Second SRS Heritage Day held in conjunction with New Ellenton Atomic City Festival

2009
March 20:   Premiere of “Displaced” video shown to 1200 attendees in 2 showings at Etherredge Center, USCA. Wine and cheese reception


Crowds mingling inside the Etherredge Center at the "Displaced" premiere Chuch Munns, SRNS President and Walt Joseph, Executive Director of the SRS Heritage Foundation


History of the Savannah River Site


The historical importance of the site is best understood by recalling the war-time urgency that the Nation felt in 1949 when the Soviet Union exploded a nuclear weapon. The Nation was shocked, and President Harry Truman chose to respond to a perceived openly aggressive action.

The Savannah River Plant (now SRS) was the major U.S. step in that response. Truman asked the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Du Pont Company to design, build, and operate a facility to produce nuclear materials (mainly tritium and plutonium) for the "super" (hydrogen) bomb. The first public announcement of the Site was made in November 1950 and ground was broken in February 1951. The first production reactor was taken critical in December 1953. The unprecedented construction project employed up to 38,582 workers in building more than 200 structures on the 300-square-mile Site.

The Site succeeded in meeting the Soviet challenge, and made a large contribution to winning the Cold War. Not only did the Site meet every product shipment, on time and within quality specifications, but did so with an unprecedented safety record and with environmental stewardship that was decades ahead of its time. 



Contact Us at qualityprt@aol.com